“The Power of Post-Racial: An Exploration of Post-Racial Rhetoric’s Influence on Candidate Evaluations” with Julian J. Wamble. August 2018. Politics, Groups and Identities. (link)
“The Fragility of Racial Transcendence: An Analysis of Oprah Winfrey’s Endorsement of the Barack Obama 2008 Presidential Campaign.” with Harwood McClerking and Ray Block. February 2018. American Politics Research. (link)
- The Conversation-Would America Vote for Oprah for President?
- Newsweek-Is America Ready to Vote for Oprah?| Opinion
“Selling Out?: The Politics of Navigating Conflicts Between Racial Group Interest and Self-Interest” November 2014. with Ismail White and Troy Allen. American Political Science Review 108 (4): 783-800. (link)
- Vox’s Mischief’s of Faction-Why Black Voter Turnout Fell in 2016
- Vox- 4 political science lessons from Kanye West’s embrace of Donald Trump
- The Washington Post’s Monkey Cage-Why are African-Americans such loyal Democrats when they are so ideologically diverse?
“Political Awareness in Black and White: The Effect of Attention to Black Political Discourse on Black Opinion Formation” with Ismail White, Ernest McGowan, and Jared Clemons. Forthcoming. (link)
“Shifting Blackness: Immigration, Ethnicity & Black Political Futures A TBS Conversations with Christina Greer & Candis Smith” April 2016. with Jonathan Fenderson. The Black Scholar-Online. (link)
“We Are One: Understanding the Maintenance of Black Democratic Party Loyalty” with Ismail K. White, Julian J. Wamble, and Corrine M. McConnaughy. (link)
- NPR’s All Thing’s Considered-What The Uproar Over Kanye West Might Reveal About Black Voters
- NPR’s CodeSwitch-What The Kanye Controversy Can Teach Us About Black Voters
- Vox-4 political science lessons from Kanye West’s embrace of Donald Trump
“Not Set in Stone: Investigating the Determining Factors of Confederate Monument Removal” with Andrea Benjamin, Ray Block, Jared Clemons, and Julian Wamble.
Working papers/Book Project
Black by Popular Demand: A Social Accountability Model of Black Politics (book manuscript) with Ismail K. White.
“Listen to Black Women? Race, Gender and Black Americans’ Perceptions of Protest” with Corrine McConnaughy.
“Self-Persuasion and Attitude Change in Institutional Actors” with Morgan Hazelton and Molly Wilson.
“Me” versus “We?”: How Blacks Reconcile Cognitive Dissonance with Linked Fate”
All Things Equal? How Perceptions of Racial Progress Undermine Racial Progress with Julian Wamble.